Warfighting Lab Incentive Fund (WLIF)
FY23 Project Proposal Solicitation (Updated December 2022)
The Deputy Secretary of Defense (DSD) Warfighting Lab Incentive Fund (WLIF) and Governance Structure Memorandum, signed 6 May 2016, established a WLIF to support the development and refinement of new Service and Joint concepts of operation (CONOPS). Per the memo, this fund will be used to support field experiments and demonstrations that take concepts from paper to real world execution. Project proposals are evaluated using the criteria set forth in the DSD memo.
- Per the DSD Memo, proposals for experimental support may be received from Service Warfighting Labs, Combatant Commands (CCMDs), Joint Staff, Office of Secretary of Defense (OSD), Defense Agencies, Federally Funded Research and Development Centers, University Affiliated Research and Development Centers and the Defense Industrial Base (DIB).
- All project proposals must identify a warfighting sponsor (CCMD, Service and/or Defense Agency) that will be involved in the project experimentation and/or demonstration activity, CONOPS development, and transition to operational capability.
- If your organization is a member of the DIB, the proposal must be submitted through, and funds will be awarded to, a warfighting sponsor.
- The WLIF has only Operation and Maintenance (O&M) appropriations. Your organization must be able to receive and apply O&M funds to accomplish WLIF project objectives.
- FY24 projects proposal submissions are due no later than April 3, 2023. The selected FY24 project list will be published in July 2023, after which time the project sponsors will collaboratively develop project agreements with the WLIF governance members in anticipation of funds availability at the beginning of the next fiscal year.
- Completely fill out the Project Proposal form, which is only located on the SIPR WLIF portal (see FY24 Tab).
- Route the WLIF Project Proposal Form to obtain necessary organizational digital signatures (Action Officer, O-6 point of contact (POC) and Financial Officer POC).
- Submit by email, the completed proposal and any supplemental material no later than April 3, 2023.