The Deputy Secretary of Defense (DSD) Warfighting Lab Incentive Fund (WLIF) and Governance Structure Memorandum , signed May 6, 2016, established a WLIF to support the development and refinement of new Service and Joint concepts of operation (CONOPS). Per the memo, this fund will be used to spur field experiments and demonstrations to evaluate, analyze and provide insight into more effective ways of using current capabilities, and to identify new ways to incorporate technologies into future operations and organizations. The project proposals are evaluated using the criteria set forth in the DSD memo.
- Per the DSD Memo, proposals for experimental support may be received from Service Warfighting Labs, Combatant Commands (CCMDs), Joint Staff, OSD, Defense Agencies, Federally Funded Research and Development Centers, University Affiliated Research and Development Centers and the Defense Industrial Base (DIB).
- All project proposals must identify a warfighting sponsor (CCMD, Service and/or Defense Agency) that will be involved in the project experimentation and/or demonstration activity, CONOPS development, and transition to operational capability.
- If your organization is a member of the DIB, the proposal must be submitted through, and funds will be awarded to, a warfighting sponsor.
- The WLIF only uses Operation and Maintenance (O&M) appropriations. Your organization must be able to receive and apply O&M funds to accomplish WLIF project objectives.
- All FY19 projects proposal submissions are due No Later Than April 13, 2018. The selected FY19 project list will be published in early-July 2018 after which time the project sponsors will collaboratively develop project agreements with the WLIF governance members in anticipation of funds availability in the beginning of the next fiscal year.
Instructions for Submitting a WLIF Project Proposal:
- Completely fill out the WLIF Project Proposal Form (PDF)
- Route the WLIF Project Proposal Form to obtain necessary organizational digital signatures (Financial Officer point of contact (POC), Action Officer, O-6 POC).
- Submit the completed form and any supplemental material to the following email address No Later Than April 13, 2018:
Email to submit WLIF Project Proposal