Steps to Access Proprietary Industry IR&D Data
Industry’s Independent Research & Development (IR&D) data within the Defense Innovation Marketplace SEARCH is proprietary and access to search the database is restricted to Department of Defense (DoD) federal employees or military service members with a direct interest in technology development or S&T planning and that have a Common Access Card (CAC).
Please use the attached guide to help in your Search of the Marketplace.
Effective August 24, 2018, DoD amended the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) to remove the requirement for major contractors to have a technical interchange with the Government prior to generating independent research and development (IR&D) costs.
This rule only removes an unneeded requirement in the DFARS for a technical interchange between the Government and certain contractors. Therefore, the rule does not impose any new requirements on contracts at or below the simplified acquisition threshold and for commercial items, including commercially available off the shelf items.
IR&D projects costs must be reported, updated at least annually, and when the project is completed. DoD uses the IR&D Secure Portal to find projects that address, mitigate, or improve a DoD technical challenge (potential transition to a program of record).
Timely and comprehensive information sharing about DoD needs for future technology and gaining awareness of contractor progress on IR&D programs enhances the ability to deliver advanced capability.
First Time Users of IR&D Search
Access to the IR&D Secure Portal must be requested. Only DoD civilian employees and military members may request access, by providing the following information:
- Are you a Department of Defense (DoD) civilian employee or military service member with a Common Access Card (CAC)? (Only DoD civilian employees and military service members may request access.)
- Do you have a Defense Technical Information (DTIC) User ID?
- If yes, you need to provide it.
- If no, or if you no longer have your DTIC User ID, please visit the DTIC Registration Center to generate one:
- Go to http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/registration/
- Click on the “Register Now” link
- Click on the “Register with SMART Card DoD/ECA Card” button
- Select the Email Cert and continue
- The system will register your DoD CAC/ECA and generate an email with your UserID. Please include that UserID in your email requesting access to the IR&D Secure Portal.
- What is your title and the organization in which you work?
- How will the IR&D Proprietary data help support your role at DoD?
Please CLICK HERE and send the information in the four question above to the email address provided. Once allowed access, you will receive an email with instructions from the Marketplace team.